3/16/08

Movie Trailers




The discussion in class about crafting a story with a timeline got me thinking about movie trailers. Movie trailers attempt to give the audience a brief glimpse (usually 1-3 minutes) of a two-hour movie, hoping to get attention and persuade people to go view. Some of the best trailers are better than the movies themselves because they condense the material down the essential story. One of the best sites to view trailers can be found at apple.com

However, the best movie trailers on the internet can be found at the trailer mash. Using footage from existing trailers (and augmenting it with other clips), adding a new soundtrack, and sometimes adding additional words, some very creative people re-imagine classic movies into something else. The above clip takes "The Ten Commandments" and reworks it into a high-school comedy. Another classic is "The Shining" turned into a romantic comedy.

1 comment:

Gabe said...

Yeah, I agree with you. I just saw 10,000 BC and the trailer for it was actually better than the movie itself. I remember when the trailer for Transformers came out I was watching that several times a day (yeah, I'm a geek!).

But good point with the notion of trailers being an edited and compressed version of a story. I'm not too thrilled when trailers show the WHOLE film though, meaning glimpses of the end of the film. I think good trailers just give you an essence of what the film is about within the 3 minutes instead of spoon feeding the entire story to you.