3/6/08

HDR images




High Dynamic range images created by splicing three different digital image exposures together to produce one single, vividly detailed image. Effects are especially evident in night/dusk shots, and images used purely on computer screens. I have yet to try this technique (I was actually surprised at how long it has been around—1990s, but with the advance of personal, high-res cameras the technique can now be achieved by amateurs.) 
I am curious if it is a printable technique. But I may try it out on my next magazine project at work.
A flickr gallery of more HDR images.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Josh, is there software to do this, or do you have to do it by "hand" in Photoshop? One of my favorite pieces of software is a little thing that came with an Olympus camera I had that stiched photos together by identifying two or three common identifiers in each photo. It didn't always work perfectly, but it worked a lot easier than had I gone in and stitched them by hand.

Joshua Harless said...

hey mike, photoshop will stitch images together, either as HDRs or as a panorama. I can't remember what the settings are, however, but I'm sure you can google it. There is software available too, for the HDR. But unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to use it.

Mike said...

Sounds cool - I'll have to look and give it a try. Nice find.