5/8/08

Collection part 2 :: Kirk Gibson baseball cards



My first collection as a child was Kirk Gibson baseball cards. I started casually buying packs of cards from a local card dealer when I was 7 or 8. He suggested I collect one individual player. I had no idea at the time who my favorite player should be, so he suggested Kirk Gibson, because we were both from Michigan. I followed Mr. Gibson's career through collecting his cards, I believe I have over 200. I even drew pictures and logos of the teams he played for (my first taste of graphic design.) I'm not sure where the collection is now, hopefully safe in my parent's attic. 

This video from youtube reminded me of my collection. Its a recounting of the 1988 world series, game 1 using only baseball cards as visuals to the commentary. the game is most remembered for the game winning home run blasted by Mr. Gibson in the bottom of the 9th, 2 out, 1 on—and Mr. Gibson that evening was sick with the flu, and had two bum knees and could barely walk.


No comments: